Image Map

Monday, December 5, 2011

My Home Tour: Kitchen


I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! We had a busy weekend spending time with friends and family and trying to finish up Christmas shopping.

Today I am continuing my "Home Tour" series with my kitchen. Enjoy!
















This room underwent quite a transformation this summer. I finally took the plunge and had my kitchen cabinets painted! While I have always loved the quality and craftsmanship of my cabinets, I wanted a change from the heaviness of the dark knotty alder wood. The dark wood cabinets, coupled with the dark walnut wood floors, made my kitchen feel very gloomy all of the time. Just like in my family room, I was ready to lighten and brighten the space. To achieve this, I had my cabinets painted a soft, creamy off-white. My painter also filled all the knots and stipples found in knotty alder cabinetry, giving them a smooth and clean finish. I was very nervous to do have this work done because I wasn't sure how it would look and how the paint would hold up. I have to say that I am thrilled with the results! Lightening up the kitchen cabinets completely changed the feel of my home and I love the fresh and bright feeling that can now be found in my kitchen. Also, the cabinets have held up beautifully! It has been almost 5 months since we had them painted and there isn't a scratch on them (even with three little kids being as rough on them as possible). I was lucky that my backsplash and granite countertops were neutral enough that they didn't need to be replaced. This helped keep the cost of this makeover reasonable.

Here is a picture of my kitchen before ...


And one more time, what it looks like now...


It's amazing what a little paint can do! Wouldn't you agree?

* All "After" images by Paige Davis Photography

Linking up here