Image Map

Monday, December 19, 2011

Client Family Room Update

Hello there! I hope you all had a great weekend. I had a wonderful weekend spending time with my hubby and kids while we got into the true Christmas spirit by providing service to those less fortunate than us. It was a wonderful learning experience for my children and one of the reasons I love this time of year so much...the goodness of people can be seen and felt everywhere!

As promised, here are a few pictures from the home of a wonderful client of mine who needed help decorating her family room. My client has a young family with three small boys. She stressed the importance of keeping things comfortable and casual. She wanted a pulled together look, but one that her family could spend lots of time in doing the things they love. She also told me that she wanted to accent her room in shades of orange and turquoise.

There were a few things I had to take into consideration when coming up with the design plan. First, painting the family room was not happening. The floor plan of her house is very open and each room opens up to the next in a way that doesn't allow for a clear start/stop point for paint. If we wanted to paint the family room, we would have to repaint the entire main floor....not in the budget. Luckily, her existing paint color was neutral and easy to work around. Second, my client already owned a large brown microfiber sectional that she and her husband are not yet ready to replace, it had to stay. Additionally, they have a mammoth large, 60 inch flat screen TV mounted to the wall across from the sofa, and removing or replacing it was not an option. Lastly, my client had fallen in love with a media unit form Pottery Barn quite some time ago, and when she found it for less than half the original price at a local outlet store, she knew she had to have it and wanted me to incorporate it into the design plan.

Before...


and now...



Before...


Now...



Before...

Now....



I love how the space feels so much more cheerful and bright now. Removing a piece of the sectional and adding the two linen barrel back chairs was key in bringing some lightness into the room. We also brought in a colorful rug, pillows and accent table to add some warmth and vibrancy. The linen embroidered drapes help pull all the elements in the room together, while enhancing the casual and fresh feel we were striving for. When my client's baby gets older, they will add a coffee table and a couple of lamps that will help complete their family room further. For now, keeping the room safe and kid friendly is at the top of the priority list!

I loved working on this room. My client is an absolute sweetheart and I am so glad to know how much she loves her new space. I hope that she and her darling family will enjoy their family room as much as I enjoyed designing it!
...
I also wanted to take a minute to say "THANK YOU" to Michaela of Michaela Noelle Designs for featuring my Holiday Home on her blog today. Be sure to go check out all the festive decor. It is sure to get you into the Holiday spirit!

*all "after" photos by Paige Davis Photography