Image Map

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Family Room: Before

I hope you all enjoyed the tour of my Family Room. If you missed it, you can go here.

As I have said before, after 5 years in our home, I was ready for a little change. So we decided to switch things up by doing a little redecorating this past summer.

Here is a picture of what my family room looked like before we redecorated it...


As you can see, I opted to go in the complete opposite direction when it came to color choices. While I loved the warmth of the rust and brown, I was ready for the lightness and brightness that came with the cooler tones I selected for the redo. We also rearranged the furniture by removing the entertainment armoire and moving the long sofa to that wall. This allowed us to open the family room up to the kitchen area, which creates a better flow when entertaining. It also helps to make the great room area feel larger. We then had our flat screen TV wired to hang on the short wall. We considered hanging it above the fireplace, but you can see the fireplace wall as soon as you enter the front door of our home, and I did not want the TV to be the focal point. A new piece of art was a better alternative. I also love the painted pieces of furniture that now reside in the family room. The pops of color are fun and fresh. Overall, the space now is a bit more casual then it was before, which compliments our lifestyle a bit better. I am really happy with the changes we made and my family and I are enjoying our updated space. 

So again, here is what it looked like before...




and now...




I think it goes to show that a few small changes can have a big impact!