Image Map

Thursday, October 6, 2011

What's in a name?

I've had a few people ask me how I picked the name for my blog, so I thought I would share the back story. There are two main reasons for choosing "The Family Room Design Studio" name. First, the family room of my own home really has become my design studio. I don't have a designated office in my home. My husband used to work from home and during that time we did have an actual home office. It was not pretty. Ugly wood laminate furniture coupled with exposed wires and papers everywhere does not make for a sophisticated space. So after my man took a new job, which required him to go into a corporate office, I reclaimed the room and turned it into a formal living room. It has since been transformed into a formal dining room. Like most decorators, I am constantly changing things in my house.

Not having an office forced me to find another place to curl up with my Mac Book, and the family room is the place I have settled in to. It is while seated on the sofa in my family room that I spend my time, reading blogs, sourcing products online and finding the inspiration that helps to define my own style. On the floor in my family room I can often be found spreading out fabric samples or creating a color palette for a space I am designing. So like I said, my family room has literally become my design studio (at least for now...I am seeing the rebirth of a home office in the near future ;) ).

Secondly, and maybe most importantly, the name of this blog is founded upon my belief that the family room of a home, whether it be big or small, is the gathering place for all that enter it. It has been said that "the kitchen is the heart of a home." I believe that the family room is a vital artery that brings life to that heart. No matter if you live in 500 or 5000 square feet, the family room and kitchen are central to the home and serve to welcome in, not only the people invited to a home, but also those that live in that home.

So there you have it. What's in a name? Well, in the case of my little blog...quite alot!

In honor of family rooms, here are some I love...

via Cote de Texas

via Country Living

via decorpad

via Emily A. Clark

via Home Bunch

via House Beautiful

via Houzz

via Houzz
Wouldn't it be wonderful to be gathered with ones you love in one of these fantastic rooms?