Image Map

Monday, July 23, 2012

My Weekend and Painting Wood Laminate Furniture

Happy Monday everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! I spent most of my weekend in the bathroom...potty training my son! :) Seriously, I hate potty training! It is so much harder on me than it is on my kids. With pre-school just a little over a month away, I had no choice but to buckle down and do it. Luckily, my little guy is doing really well and it hasn't been as torturous as I expected it to be. Since we wont be adding anymore members to our family, it is nice to know that we are officially done with diapers...hopefully.

Between my frequent trips to the bathroom, I did manage to start a small DIY makeover project. This time I am tackling a large, ugly, orangish wood laminate filing cabinet that sits in our home office. Although, I agree with my husband that we need a filing cabinet in our office to house all our important documents, etc. I was not willing to live with the one we had...at least not with the way it looked. Thank goodness for all the amazing DIYers out there who have taught us that wood laminate furniture can be painted. I found a tutorial on Pinterest and basically followed it. This is what our laminate filing cabinet originally looked like...


Like I said...yuck! So I got to work giving it a little makeover. First I had my husband fill the holes for the handles with wood filler...


After the wood filler dried, we sanded the excess off.  I also gave the whole cabinet a very light sanding with fine grit sandpaper. I then wiped it down with a lint free cloth to remove all of the dust. Next, I covered the file cabinet with two coats of Zinsser Cover Stain Primer, using a dense foam roller.


My cabinet makeover is almost complete. I just need to put a few finishing touches on it. Stay tuned for pictures and an explanation of the final product in the next couple of days!